West Side Academy is the district’s model for the four-day school week and the proud recipients of the 2006 Congressional Award for Outstanding Graduation Rate in Alternative Schools. WSA strives for academic excellence and provides students with opportunities for accelerated learning through credit recovery program offered via online classes with tutorial support. Our unique curriculum is based on the A.C.C.E.L. (Alternative Curriculum Choices for Excellence in Leadership) model. WSA students gain Credit Recovery Advantages through online course and extended day opportunities. West Side Academy serves as a last bastion of hope for students disenfranchised from regular comprehensive high schools because of either poor choices made or circumstances beyond their control. Our ultimate goal is to provide WSA students with the prerequisite skills necessary to compete successfully in post-secondary training, as well as, in the ever-changing demands of the workplace.
Online Courses which augment Traditional Course Offerings, Foreign Language, Academic Games, Girls and Boys Varsity Basketball, Varsity Cheerleading, Project A.R.T., Extended Day Course Offerings, Tutorial Support – Test Prep Café, Career Tech Center Partnerships, Accelerated Reading/ Math Support Systems, Detroit Parent Network Partnership, Project 180® Character Education, ENGRADE Academic Feedback Support, National Honor Society, Student Government, Traditional Comprehensive Senior High School Course Offerings
Our vision is at West Side Academy is that our students will exhibit with confidence, college and career readiness skills needed to excel as global citizens and lifelong learners.
The mission of West Side Academy is to facilitate academic excellence and equity. We will provide a dynamic, engaging and effective educational experience that equips our students with the skills essential to thrive and contribute to a technologically evolving society which continues to infinitely increase our access to knowledge.
- All students can learn and maximize their potential given resources, support, opportunity in a nurturing environment.
- Teachers and staff are committed to fostering an environment that prepares students for graduation and preparation for higher education or entry-level career employment.
- All students deserve an opportunity to receive a quality education.
- The school should be a safe and clean environment for all staff and students.
- We shall establish an environment in which administrators, staff and students are accountable for success and excellence.
- Students can achieve mastery of state standards given ample attention, established support, and research based instruction.
Autonomous Learners – who are intrinsically motivated and accountable for their own learning.
Problem Solvers – who have the ability to think critically and analytically with the capacity to persevere in the pursuit of life’s endeavors.
Collaborators – who are flexible team players, receptive to and capable of delivering constructive feedback and committed to working with others to create positive solutions to 21st century challenges.
Communicators – who leverage their technological knowledge to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing to enhance their lives and positively impact the world around them.