Western International High School is the most culturally diverse comprehensive school within Detroit Public Schools. The district’s third-ranking high school behind Renaissance and Cass Tech, Western affords students the opportunity to choose from several academic programs that will prepare them for their specific career paths.
Students can choose from the STEM Academy for Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics/Manufacturing; International Business Academy; Fine and Performing Arts Academy; and 9th Grade Ambassador Academy, while also learning self-management skills, learning/study skills, and social skills. Western also offers general high school courses such as Biology, Chemistry, Calculus, Literacy, English Literature, Psychology, U.S History, World History and more. The international academic curriculum falls in line with the Common Core Standards and offers 13 advanced placement courses.
The $28.3 million Western International High School renovation in 2011 included a new athletic complex with a swimming pool addition and an exercise facility. The existing pool was filled in and the space was converted into the visual and performing arts wing which includes a black box theater, two dance studios, language laboratories, and art classrooms in addition to a cultural center to serve as a community marketplace. A new building security entrance was added to incorporate state-of-the-art security technologies, enhance student safety, and foster a greater connection between the community and administrative offices.
- School Brochure (English)
- School Brochure (Spanish)
- Read Western International High School’s School of the Week Feature: Sept. 24-28, 2012
- DPS Safe Routes to School Program
AMBASSADOR ACADEMY (9th)
Setting Strong Foundations for Success!
This small learning academy is designed to take a young person and produce a well-rounded student with sound learning, social, and self-management skills. Students are “monitored” by an attentive cohort of teachers who are invested in their success, and readiness for the upper level academies. Core academic skills are at the center of this program so all students are ready for their academy of choice in the 10th grade.
The following are the courses students will enroll in during their 9th grade year:
- Mathematics – 2 classes
- English – 2 classes
- Science – 1 class
- U.S. History – 1 class
SCIENCE, TECHNOLOGY, ENGINEERING, AND MANUFACTURING ACADEMY (10th – 12th)
Exploring Tomorrow’s Technology Today!
The STEM Academy will provide college and career preparedness for all of these exciting vocational opportunities:
- engineering (aeronautical, biomedical, civil, mechanical, electrical, computer, petroleum, etc.)
- architecture (landscape, drafting, naval, surveying, etc.)
- Computer technology (computer programming, software engineer, systems analyst, mathematician, statistician, actuary, database administration)
- Healthcare vocations (anesthesiologist, athletic trainer, dental hygienist, dentist, nuclear medicine technologist, optometrist, psychiatrist, registered nurse, surgeon, veterinarian, etc.)
- Science (astronomer, anthropologist, archaeologist, chemist, atmospheric and space scientist, forensic science technician, hydrologist, physicist, zoologist and wildlife biologist, etc.)
The purpose of the STEM Academy is to combine a rigorous inquiry-based curriculum with Advanced Placement courses to offer students a variety of science- and technology-related disciplines through innovative and relevant instructional strategies. Students will merge hands-on skills with state-of-the-art technology along with community and university partnerships as the means to pursue and succeed in STEM-related degrees or careers.
International Business Academy (10th – 12th)
Expanding the Capacity for Innovative Thinking!
The IB Academy will provide college and career preparedness for all of these exciting vocational opportunities:
- business management (emergency management specialist; agents and business managers of artists, performers, and athletes; logistics; retail buyer; entrepreneur; account collecting; human resources manager; market research analyst; public relations manager; survey researcher; advertising; etc.)
- finance (accounting; auditing; budget analysis; credit analysis; financial analysis; real estate appraisal and assessment; tax examination, collecting, and revenue agent; tax preparation; securities, commodities, and financial service sales agent; etc.)
- legal (lawyer; judge; arbitrator; mediator; paralegal; court reporter; etc.)
The purpose of the IB Academy is to combine a rigorous inquiry-based curriculum with Advanced Placement courses to offer students a variety of science- and technology-related disciplines through innovative and relevant instructional strategies. Students will merge hands-on skills with state-of-the-art technology along with community and university partnerships as the means to pursue and succeed in IB-related degrees or careers.
Fine and Performing Arts Academy (10th – 12th)
Nurturing the Creative Genius in Us All!
The FPA Academy will provide college and career preparedness for all of these exciting vocational opportunities:
- performance arts (actor, dancer, singer, musician, theatre performer, etc.)
- fine arts (artist, sculptor, illustrator, comic strip creator, painter, print maker, imager, etc.)
- production (art direction, choreography, commercial and industrial design, audio and visual equipment technology, fashion design, film and video editing, music direction, composing, photography, sound engineering technology, technical writing, creative writing, etc.)
The purpose of the FPA Academy is to combine a rigorous inquiry-based curriculum with Advanced Placement courses to offer students a variety of science- and technology-related disciplines through innovative and relevant instructional strategies. Students will merge hands-on skills with state-of-the-art technology along with community and university partnerships as the means to pursue and succeed in FPA-related degrees or careers.
Western International High School is a place where trusting, caring and respectful relationships exist between staff, students and all community stakeholders. A clean, safe, and orderly environment is established through wide dissemination and enforcement of school policies. A dedicated staff sets high expectations for teaching and learning and holds themselves accountable for creating rigorous and relevant curriculum, partnerships with parents and high quality options for academic intervention.
Western International High School exists to ensure that each student is afforded an education that prepares them to live and work in a global community. Western International High School will equip students with 21st century skills that enable responsible and well-informed decision making. As a result, students can confidently embrace the challenges and leadership roles of United States citizenship.
Western International High School believes that teachers and students must have ownership over student achievement. Through effective instruction students can become empowered citizens and embrace the hope of the future. Honesty, clarity, collaboration and accountability by all stakeholders in an open and supportive environment are critical in achieving our mission and vision.
We believe in active community involvement. Our school does not stand alone. It should serve the community, and the community should serve the school. We all have a sound investment in a solid school community. We support the PTA, we welcome parents, tutoring partnerships, and our student’s benefit when they work and volunteer in their community.
We believe in the post-secondary success of each and every one of our graduates. We keep ties with our graduates to assist them as they proceed to university, technical training, apprenticeships, and into careers. We bask in their success.
We believe in accountability for all. Every teacher, administrator, staff member, and student has a job to do and will be held accountable for fulfilling their duties. It is through this trust and hard work that we lift each other up in our successes.