Frederick Douglass Academy for Young Men, for students in grades 6-12, provides a private school environment in an urban setting and is the only tuition-free, all male school in the state of Michigan. Our school provides a clean and safe atmosphere for young men to learn and grow and is driven by the “3Cs”: Customize – academically, socially, and emotionally; Challenge – academic rigor and character; Care – for all students. We are the first in school Detroit to have a partnership with the nationally recognized Campaign for Black Male Achievement and have a S.T.E.A.M partnership with Ford Next Generation Learning. Douglass Academy is an application school and students interested in attending must meet eligibility criteria and participate in a brief interview to gain acceptance. We WILL make difference in your child’s life.
- 100% graduation rate since 2013, Small class sizes.
- A highly qualified, innovate, nurturing staff.
- Free CollegeSpring SAT preparation for 10th and 11th graders, Character-building/leadership lessons.
- JROTC, Journalism, Foreign Language, and Movie Editing electives courses.
- Football, Basketball, Golf, indoor and outdoor Track and Field.
- National Honor Society
- City Camp mentoring program for grades 6-8
- History, Arts and Culture Club, and Chess Club
- Lyricist Society, an Emmy Award-winning after-school program in hip hop, digital storytelling, video editing, creative writing, spoken word and live performances
- Award-winning VEX Robotics team, Credit Recovery program
- Students maintain the Douglass Memorial Garden and Debbie Stabenow Hoop House, growing produce for school lunches
- Greening of Detroit program and summer job opportunities
- Dream Kings Futures Project Mentoring Program (gr. 9-12)
- Frederick Douglass Academy for Young Men’ School of the Week Feature: Oct. 6-10, 2014
- DPS Safe Routes to School Program