Your Prescription for College and Career Success!
The high school, which is enrolling for grades 9, 10 and 11, provides a college preparatory curriculum allowing students to explore college courses, have internships and engage in community service projects. Students must complete an application and write an essay that demonstrates their interest in studying science and mathematics and a commitment to work hard.
The school is located in the heart of the Detroit Medical Center (DMC) at I-75 and Mack Avenue near accessible bus routes.
- BCHS Recruitment Flyer
- BCHS Application
- 21st Century Workforce Development Brochure
- Read Ben Carson’s School of the Week Feature: Jan. 28-Feb. 1
- Click here to learn more about the DPS Safe Routes to School Program
- An Opening Day welcome by community partners and professionals, followed up by regular visits with professionals in the science and medical fields and a White Coat Ceremony to celebrate the success of their freshman year.
- Opportunities for students to take classes at partner sites, shadow partners, and participate in internships.
- Partnerships with Detroit Medical Center, Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine, Wayne State University, Henry Ford Health Systems, and other organizations. Extra-curricular activities include the Future DOcs Health Series.
What to expect
- Real-Life Experiences: The benefits that Benjamin Carson High School students enjoy include job-shadowing medical professionals, attending medical events, personalized discussions with doctors and health care professionals and much more. The students’ mentors are medical students, doctors and health professionals.
- High Expectations: The curriculum is heavily-based in science and mathematics coursework. Students learn through project-based learning, seminar/mentoring relationships with teachers, and small group study, allowing them to have many opportunities to forge strong relationships with teachers.
- Safe, Secure, and Welcoming: Expectations of professional demeanor are supported by a behavior code and zero tolerance policies.
Dr. Benjamin Carson High School of Science and Medicine will emerge as an exemplar for preparing all students to be leaders and agents of change who positively impact their world.
The mission of Dr. Benjamin Carson High School of Science and Medicine is to educate and support all students in a challenging and professional environment in preparation for college success.
The Name We Honor
The school is named in honor of the acclaimed Detroit-born, African-American pediatric neurosurgeon Dr. Benjamin Carson. As a pediatric neurosurgeon on the staff of Johns Hopkins Hospital, Dr. Carson has been honored with the 2008 Presidential Medal of Freedom for his contributions.
The school aims to honor the contributions Dr. Carson has made not only to the global medical community, but also as a role model for Detroit students with aspirations and interests in science and medical fields.
To learn more visit Johns Hopkins University.
Commitment to College Success
The school environment will be devoted to guiding students toward discovering their career potential while visualizing themselves as college graduates. The commitment to college success for all students will be supported by staff members and a College Transition Advisor who will assist students with college applications, scholarships, financial aid and provide support once students are enrolled in college.