Clara Barton Elementary
Wendy Shirley, Principal
8530 Joy Road
At the Clara Barton School…’the staff will teach students…encourage students to become self directed… continuously stress and foster excellence…[and] support the District’s goal that states ”Every Child Will Learn” in a clean, safe and healthy environment.
(*From the Barton Mission Statement).
The staff stress learning basics…the foundations of education….and build on these to help the students expand the breadth of their knowledge and understanding. According to the Principal, Dr. Freddie Neal, “we challenge students with the core curriculum of science, math, social studies and reading. On that foundation we continue to build self esteem and academic success with special academic support and enrichment programs such as art, accelerated reading, after school tutoring, a summer learning academy and parent seminars where parents learn how to help their children learn,” he added. Throughout the school, technology is the teaching partner. Students have a state of the art computer lab, and computers are in each classroom and the teacher’s workroom.
Along with the dedicated and skilled teaching and educational support staff, at Barton they have the track record and services that attest to their success when it comes to teaching young students.
- High MEAP scores
- Making AYP (Annual Yearly Progress)
- Behavioral management
- Highly Qualified teachers
- Introduction to careers projects
- Health and safety programs
Barton has also been recognized for excellence by being named a Skillman Foundation Good School and a State of Michigan, High Performing Phase Zero (AYP) School.
To assure that students are achieving, the staff continually monitor students’ progress, not only by report card grades, but by testing, analyzing test results, following GPAs, sharing knowledge about students among staff, and holding regular individual grade-level focused meetings. Take some time to visit Barton, and learn more about this great school.
Historical Note: Built in 1921, Barton was originally housed in Mackenzie High School. During WWII, Barton staff and students raised funds and purchased several Jeeps to support the war effort. They left Mackenzie and moved to the current site in 1948.