Job Title: Secondary Vocational- Automotive Services Teacher
Posting Date: November 8, 2010
Closing Date: Until Filled
Salary Range: DFTSalaryS - (annually)
Job Type: Instructional
Benefits Eligibility: The Detroit Public Schools offers a comprehensive and competitive benefits package.
Reports to: Director/Designee
Location: Breithaupt Career/Technical Center
In order to apply on-line applicants must have a valid email account ;yahoo, AOl, or Gmail ( from google) ect..... in order to register. The registration information is listed on-line
Must possess and provide evidence of minimum high school graduation and have a minimum of four (4) full years of work experience (8000 hours) of which two (2) full years (4000 hours) must be within the last seven (7) years of recent and relevant automotive service experience.
Candidate must have a minimum of four (4) years or 8000 hours of related work experience in automotive engines, steering & suspension, brakes, electrical/electronic systems, and/or engine performance. Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) Certification preferred upon application; or must be attained within first year of employment. 4000 hours of the candidates' experience must be within six (6) years of application. Competency-based curriculum development experience desired. The right candidate must be student-focused and foster a positive student-learning environment.
Regular Attendance is critical; must have an exemplary attendance record.
Must be able to verify whether U.S. citizen, resident alien, or otherwise authorized to accept employment in the U.S.
Must be physically able to perform the duties and responsibilities outlined with or without accommodations.
Under the direction of the Director/Designee
1. Implement the Districtï¿½s curriculum through an on-going process of planning for innovation, change and continuous academic improvement;
2. Create a classroom/lab environment that emulates and is conducive to learning automotive services industry skills;
3. Establish a learning climate that promotes the orderly behavior of all students while maintaining the dignity and positive self-concept of each student;
4. Improve student achievement and advancement through data-driven assessment interventions;
5. Establish student success as a primary goal and provide opportunities for all students to experience success;
6. Provide for the well-being, health and safety of all students;
7. Effectively communicate and involve parents and community in the Automotive Services program;
8. Utilizes the community as a learning resource and as an extension of the classroom for students;
9. Expand cooperative relationships with community organizations, individuals, and/or activities related to Automotive Services;
10. Promote student recruitment, attendance and retention;
11. Integrate academic and career/technical Automotive Services program curriculum;
12. Seek out and participate in professional growth experiences, such as externships;
13. Involve students in state and national educational student organizations;
14. Participate in the Automotive Services program advisory committee;
15. Enhance student mastery of employability skills and customer service skills required for the work-place;
16. Build good interpersonal relationships and establish positive rapport with students, parents and colleagues;
17. Perform other tasks and assume other responsibilities as assigned by administration.
All successful applicants, not presently employed by the Detroit Public Schools, at point of offer to hire, will be subject to a fingerprint check as a condition of employment.
Applicant must provide a non-refundable payment of $70.00 by cashier's check, certified check or money order, payable to the I.I.S. (Identix Identification Services). There is the ability to pay by MasterCard or Visa, but the applicant must call Identix at (866)226-2952 beforehand because they are unable to accept credit cards at the site.
All fingerprinting appointments will be scheduled by Detroit Public Schools, Human Resources Department. Applicants must be prompt and present a state issued picture ID or passport in order to be fingerprinted.
Fingerprints are taken at the following sites: Wayne County RESA located at 5454 Venoy, Wayne, MI (Monday-Friday, 10am-4pm) or at Securitas, located in the Fisher Building, 3011 W. Grand Boulevard, Suite 1501W (Friday Only, 8:30am-4pm).
Interested candidates, including internal candidates, must submit (in person or by mail) a letter of interest, current resume, letter of recommendation from the current, immediate supervisor; copies of graduate transcript(s); and evidence of compliance with State guidelines for continuing education courses for administrators (external candidates must also submit an application for employment) to:
Detroit Public Schools-Welcome Center
Attention: Breithaupt Career and Technical Center ï¿½ Automotive Services Teacher
New Center One Building
3031 West Grand Boulevard
Detroit, Michigan 48202
Please read this announcement carefully. Candidates who do not meet the announced requirements need not apply.
Internal candidates must include in the letter of interest, their current classification (job title); work location and telephone number; file number; home address and telephone number; as well as any other requested documentation stated in this job announcement.
External candidates must obtain, complete and submit an employment application, copy of social security card, as well as any other requested documentation stated in this job announcement.
Successful candidates are required to submit official transcript(s) at point of offer to hire. Service outside of the Detroit Public Schools must be verified by the applicantï¿½s employer(s) prior to hire.
All interviews must be arranged by the Division of Human Resources. It is the applicantï¿½s responsibility to provide all documentation (including copies) as requested. All documentation must be submitted along with the letter of interest. Due to the high volume of candidates applying for positions, we regret that we are unable to pull individual personnel files to retrieve/copy documents. Therefore, to assure the application process is not delayed, if you are applying for multiple positions with the district, we strongly encourage you to have available several photocopies of your credentials to be submitted for each position for which you apply. Documentation will not be accepted subsequent to the closing date of the announcement. Incomplete information will not be considered. Applicants requesting assistance during the application process should contact the Office of Recruitment and Employment Services at (313) 873-7101.
The Board of Education of the School District of the City of Detroit does not discriminate against, deny benefits to or exclude participation by any person in its programs, activities or employment on the basis of age, race, sex, color, national origin, creed, religion or handicap.