Join us for “Detroit Public Schools Week, Presented by Internet Essentials from Comcast” including:
DPS Church Sunday – August 19
25+ faith-based supporters spread a positive back-to-school message!
Dressing of the Spirit of Detroit Statue – Monday, August 20
Spirit of Detroit Statue: Dressed in an authentic “I’m In!” T-shirt August 20 – September 4.
Taste of DPS Multicultural Day – Tuesday, August 21
Participants can enjoy foods, sights and sounds from various cultures representing DPS! The event will be 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. at Davison, Earhart, Gardner and Garvey.
DPS/Comcast Back-to-School Parade, downtown – Wednesday, August 22
ALL DPS schools will participate in the Back-to-School Parade, presented by Internet Essentials from Comcast, and coordinated by The Parade Company. It will include the DPS All-City Marching Band, alumni marchers, school step teams, parent marchers and more! Step-off is 11 a.m. at Grand Circus Park, Woodward at Adams. Limited backpack vouchers and uniform vouchers from Forman Mills will be passed out and redeemable at the All-Schools Open House!
Detroit Branch NAACP-DPS-Black Family Development, Inc. Back to School/Stay in School Education Day – Friday, August 24, Delores Bennett Park, New Center area
Hundreds of students will receive school supplies, food, and entertainment.
All-DPS Schools Open House and Alumni Celebration – Saturday, August 25
All schools will be open 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. with giveaways, opportunities to meet staff, program showcases, and more! A “DPS Pride” incentive will be available for the first 1,000 alumni at schools!
Internet Essentials from Comcast is serving as the presenting sponsor of this year’s events, and additional support is being provided by Forman Mills, Office Depot and Sodexo.
Tell the World Why You’re “In” to DPS!
Deadline extended until September 24!
DPS students to create 30-90 second YouTube videos and post to Twitter detailing why they’re “In” to DPS! 1st Place winner will receive Beats™ by Dr. Dre™ Studio High-Definition Headphones, 2nd Place- $50 iTunes gift card; and 3rd Place-$25 AMC Movie Theater gift card; For group entries, $300 toward school activities
As part of the month-long enrollment and school readiness campaign, Detroit Public Schools will host an “I’m In” Student Video Contest beginning today, August 10, 2012 where all DPS students are invited to create a unique video detailing why they’re “In” to DPS in 90 seconds or less. The contest is open to all DPS students and aims to promote DPS Pride; showcase creative, original videos produced by students; and will be used as the official “I’m in” video on the DPS website, detroitk12.org.
Students must upload their videos to YouTube and post a link to the video on Twitter with the hashtag: #ImInDPSVideo
Three winners will be selected. The first-place winner will receive a set of Beats™ by Dr. Dre™ Studio High-Definition Headphones valued at $299.99, donated by Office Depot. The second-place winner will receive a $50 iTunes gift card, and the third-place winner will receive a $25 AMC Movie Theater gift card. For group entries, $300 will be donated by the Detroit Public Schools Foundation to go toward school activities. There will be only one winning group selected.
2012 “I’m In” Student Video Contest Rules and Criteria:
- To participate, students must follow Detroit Public Schools on Twitter at http://twitter.com/detroitk12.
- Students must upload their videos to YouTube and post a link to the video on Twitter with the hashtag: #ImInDPSVideo
- Entries must be from Detroit Public Schools students only.
- Videos must be 30-90 seconds long.
- At the end of the video, the student must showcase in print:Full-name, grade level, school they attend, credits, and email address.
- For group entries, the group must showcase: Full-name of group, school, credits, and at least one email address.
- DEADLINE: All entries must be submitted by 5 p.m. Monday, September 24.
- Video must include the tagline: “I’m Proud I’m In to DPS!”
- If music is included in the video, students can only use: Original DPS “I’m In” song, Original Score or Music from GarageBand
- Click on the link below for the DPS “I’m In” Theme Song — Instrumental: http://detroitk12.org/media/media/view/285
- Click on the link below for the DPS “I’m In” Theme Song — Vocals: http://detroitk12.org/media/media/view/286
- Students will be judged based on the following criteria:
- Creativity and originality
- Showcase of DPS Pride
- Overall presentation, technical quality, and content of entry (how well it follows the category description)
- Use of the DPS Advantage bullet points. *NOTE, students are NOT required to use all bullet points, only what they would like to incorporate into their video, such as:
- Individualized Learning Maps for every student at 91 schools
- Science, technology, engineering and math emphasis
- School options for every child, including a renowned arts school, a high school for science and medicine, a foreign language school, and all-girls and all-boys academies
- Take-home Netbooks for students in grades 8-12 and accessible for all students in grades 6 and up
- Pre-algebra for 7th graders
- Advanced Placement courses at every high school
- English as a Second Language courses and 9 different languages district-wide
- Fine Arts program with instrumental music, vocal music and dance
- Business Partners/Reading Volunteers to raise student achievement
- Safety and security enhancements in all schools and three brand-new buildings
- Parent workshops at 8 Parent Resource Centers
- Transportation, free healthy meals and a focus on safe routes to school
- Scholar-athlete programs through the Detroit Public Schools League
- DPS-only college-readiness scholarship guarantees
- $106 million+ in grants and scholarships for 2012 grads
- All entries will be judged by a panel of four judges including two DPS Media Arts Instructors; one DPS Media Arts Student, and one DPS Media Arts Alumnus.
- Awards will be announced via Twitter @Detroitk12, or twitter.com/detroitk12, and on the Official Detroit Public Schools Facebook Fan Page: facebook.com/DetroitPublicSchoolsFanPage on Friday, September 28, 2012 at 5 p.m.
- For students who do not have a Twitter account but would like to participate, email video submissions to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For more details, contact the DPS Office of Communications at (313) 873-4542. For full details on the month-long enrollment and school readiness campaign, visit detroitk12.org.