Detroit Public Schools Community District’s yearlong focus on the critical importance of attendance continues with educational and fun incentives for students who participate in school on Count Day, Wednesday, February 8. Some of the district’s S.T.E.A.M.y partners are providing one-of-a-kind educational experiences and opportunities to students who are in attendance and on time. #AttendEveryDayAllDay
“This is an exceptional opportunity for the entire community to come together to drive home awareness of the critical importance of attendance, every day all day, throughout the school year,” said Interim Superintendent Alycia Meriweather.
The District announced a robust line up of after school and weekend enrichment opportunities with some of Detroit’s most innovative institutions with a focus on S.T.E.A.M. (science, technology, engineering, arts and mathematics) to kick off on Saturday, Feburary 11. (See: www.culturesource.org/DPSCDSteamy )
DPSCD schools with the highest attendance levels will have an opportunity to offer their students participation in the following:
- Private “S.T.E.A.M.y Winter” Skating Party Rink at Campus Martius with a celebrity (including skate rental for up to 100 students) for one of four schools that has the highest attendance on Count Day.
- Daylong S.T.E.A.M.y Performing and Musical Arts Adventure at the Detroit Institute of Music Education (DIME) including exclusive master musician song-writing workshops, student performances and four classes for up to 90 students from the high school with the highest attendance on Count Day.
- Detroit Symphony Orchestra exclusive S.T.E.A.M.y arts visit to a school by musicians from the orchestra, including musician introductions, instrument demonstrations, ensemble performance, Q&A session and more. This will be offered to one of four schools that has the highest attendance on Count Day.
- Behind-the-Scenes S.T.E.A.M.y Scientific Tour at WDIV’s meteorological center with Meteorologist and Station Scientist Andrew Humphrey for a class with perfect attendance.
- Student S.T.E.A.M.y guest host on-air spots on Superstation 910 AM and behind-the-scenes learning tour of the station’s engineering and broadcast arts systems. This offer will be extended to one of four schools with the highest attendance on Count Day.
“Students need to attend school to achieve academically and to build the good habits they need to graduate, attend college and succeed in a job. Study after study shows that students who don’t show up regularly don’t succeed,” according to Attendance Works, a six-year national and state initiative that promotes awareness of the important role that school attendance plays in achieving academic success starting with school entry.
The district will emphasize the importance of attendance year-round with the hashtag #AttendEveryDayAllDay in its communications to students, parents, families and educators and will also be sending communications home and within schools.