Alana Burke of Martin Luther King Jr. Senior High School receives reporting award

alana-burkeAlana Burke one of King’s juniors will be recognized at the Michigan Interscholastic Press Association’s (MIPA) fall conference on Monday, Oct. 24, in Lansing. She is the winner for the category of reporting, her essay was entitled, “Sick-outs, walkouts call attention to unhealthy school condition.”  Alana is the only winner from Detroit.  She is an editor for Crusaders’ Chronicle a high school newspaper through Crain’s Detroit Communications and Michigan State University.

The contest was conducted by MIPA, in partnership with the Michigan Humanities Council and the Pulitzer Prizes Board, as part of the 100th anniversary celebration of the Pulitzer Prizes in 2016. Honorees will be recognized at the MIPA Fall Conference on Monday, Oct. 24, in Lansing.

Students in grades 8-11 were invited to submit entries in four categories. Work must have related to one or more of the following topics:

• Accountability and Abuse
  • Presidential Power and Secrecy
  • Civil Rights and Equality
  • War and Peace Entrants in the contest will have an opportunity to meet with several Pulitzer Prize winning journalists speaking at the fall conference. Recognized work will be published into a commemorative booklet.

Judging was completed by journalists associated with the Michigan Press Association Foundation and faculty of the Michigan State University School of Journalism. Judges selected a winner in each category and also recognized additional entries as finalists for their outstanding work.

This entry was posted in Info News Center, News and Press Releases, Student Showcase and tagged .