The Detroit College Access Network (DCAN) Detroit Summer Melt Initiative alleviates barriers to college enrollment by providing one-on-one coaching and counseling to support students and families with completing the critical college-going steps that often contribute to Summer Melt.
The DCAN Approach:
- Summer Melt Centers: We will work with our community and college partners to provide students and families the opportunity to drop in to a Summer Melt center to get one-on-one coaching and counseling to complete the critical college-going steps.
- Mobile Support: We will deploy trained staff to provide one-on-one coaching, counseling, and workshops at relevant summer events and programs for college intending students.
- Resource Support for Current Providers: We will provide the Bridget2College system and workshops as FREE resources to schools and college access programs that will be providing college transition supports to students over the summer.
Through these approaches we will provide providing one-on-one coaching and counseling to support students and families with completing the critical college-going steps that often contribute to Summer Melt.
Students will work directly with college transition counselors, financial aid representatives, and postsecondary institutions to complete the following relevant college-going steps:
- Login to college web portal
- Check financial aid status and complete appropriate steps
- Register for college orientation
- Schedule times to take placement tests (if applicable)
- Complete housing requirements and forms
- Learn about and complete health requirements
- Submit final high school transcript
- Understand tuition bills and other financial requirements such as deposits
- Schedule academic advising meeting/register for classes