Educators, community leaders and parents will learn from experts in the field to jumpstart a city-wide education dialogue that addresses systemic challenges and provides collaborative solutions
DPS has formed a strong alliance with local, state and national partners to host the Detroit Family and Community Engagement (FACE) Summit. Highly-regarded panelists will hold a day-long discussion with area educators, community stakeholders, business leaders and parents to address systemic issues that create roadblocks such as chronic absenteeism, low family and community engagement and lack of academic resources. Experts speaking include Dr. Karen L. Mapp, Sr. Lecturer at the Harvard Graduate School of Education and Scholastic Education author, who will share the best practices of the Dual Capacity-Building Framework for Family-School Partnerships developed by the US Department of Education. The summit will be available via a live stream provided by DPTV using the following link: http://dptv.org/facedetroit.
DPS, education experts from Scholastic, Attendance Works Wayne State University Center for Urban Studies and the Metro Detroit Charter Center are leading the charge to form an alliance with local educators to launch this working group that will develop strategy around challenges that impede student success. This is the first of many public dialogues to address the needs of all students in metro Detroit.
Thursday, March 24, 2016
Morning session – 8:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
Afternoon session – 1:30 p.m. – 4:45 p.m.
Wayne State University
Community Arts Auditorium
450 Reuther Mall, Detroit 48202
- Dr. Karen L. Mapp, Sr. Lecturer at the Harvard Graduate School of Education, Scholastic Education author and renowned expert in family & community engagement (FACE)
- Hedy N. Chang, Founder and Executive Director of Attendance Works
- Barrington Irving, CEO of Experience Aviation and Flying Classroom, a STEAM based K-8 curriculum
- Pamela Moore, President and CEO of Detroit Employment Solutions Corporation (DESC)
- Afternoon Sessions include Case Studies and Deeper-Dives into:
- FACE – the Dual Capacity-Building Framework for Family-School Partnerships
- Chronic Absenteeism Deep-dive breakout sessions and case studies
- Flying Classroom – STEM Based Project and Experimental Learning
For additional FACE Summit information: Contact Roderick Brown at (313) 409-5878 or Roderick.firstname.lastname@example.org.