Detroit Public High School Students Are Cooking Up Change

Winning Meal to Be Served at DPS

Four teams from two Detroit Public High Schools are Cooking up Change as part of Healthy Schools Campaign’s Healthy Cooking Contest! The event will take place Tuesday, March 15, from 10 a.m. until 12:30 p.m. at Breithaupt Career and Technical Center, 9300 Hubbell Ave, Detroit, 48228, in the Main Dining Room.

Cooking up Change is a culinary competition founded by Healthy Schools Campaign that challenges student chefs to create healthy and delicious school meals that their peers will enjoy, while meeting strict nutritional standards and a tight budget, about $1 per meal —constraints schools deal with every day. The winning team’s dishes will be served at Detroit Public Schools and the students will also win an all-expense paid trip to Washington, D.C. to compete at the national competition in June.

More about Cooking Up Change
One in three American children and teens is overweight or obese, and many students eat up to half their daily calories at school. By challenging student chefs to create healthy and delicious school meals, Cooking up Change puts student voices front and center in the national conversation about school food.  The competition instills confidence among the students.  For the majority of these young people, winning a trip to Washington, D.C. would be their first trip outside of Detroit, an experience of a lifetime! For more information, visit www.cookingupchange.org.

This entry was posted in Info News Center, News and Press Releases, Student Showcase and tagged .