Students enjoy first week at Escuela Preparatoria Academia de las Américas
Detroit Public Schools’ (DPS) Academy of the Americas expanded to a new high school site this week. Students in grades 8-10 started attending classes in the new High School, Escuela Preparatoria Academia de las Américas, on Monday, January 25, 2016 and can now continue their Dual Immersion Bi-lingual Academic Program in Spanish and English through graduation. The school will progressively expand to grades 11 and 12 as students matriculate.
“We are very excited to expand our successful dual language immersion program at the Academy of the Americas,” said Principal Nicholas Brown. “It is a wonderful opportunity to prepare students for a global, multi-lingual, multi-cultural workplace and society and truly prepare them for the future.” The Academy of the Americas lower academy, located in Southwest Detroit on 5680 Konkel, houses grades PreK-7.
An Open House and Ribbon-Cutting Ceremony is planned for the community to help celebrate the inauguration of Escuela Preparatoria Academia de las Américas on Monday, February 8, from 3:30 to 5:30 p.m. The ribbon-cutting ceremony will be held at 4 p.m. The Academy is located at 2635 Howard, next to the historic Ste. Anne de Detroit Catholic Church.
- Dual Immersion Bilingual Academic Program in Spanish and English with the traditional rigorous curriculum.
- Students take most of their classes beginning in Spanish in the earliest grades and phase in more English in later grades until they arrive at 50 percent instruction in Spanish and 50 percent instruction in English.
- The new high school is located in a historic 100 year-old structure in Detroit’s Cork Town
- Unique school partners that helped establish the school include:
- Southwest Solutions
- Detroit Hispanic Development Corporation
- Congress of Communities
Academy of the Americas is currently enrolling students in its new High School. The Academy is a Neighborhood-Centered, Quality School that works to ensure every child is prepared for a high-performing school experience.
For more information about Escuela Preparatoria Academia de las Américas, visit detroitk12.org/enroll or call (313) 240-4377. The number to the school is (313) 335-1310.