New High School Open House Series tailored for 8th grade students
Detroit Public Schools launched this month a NEW initiative to ensure Detroit 8th grade students can explore the District’s High Schools before the spring Enrollment period to allow parents/guardians and their children to make the best decision possible for their High School of choice. All Detroit 8th grade students graduating in June 2016 are welcome to attend these fun and engaging events.
The new series of High School Open Houses began on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 with Davis Aerospace Technical High School, where students can learn to fly while taking a rigorous college preparatory curriculum, and Golightly Career and Technical Center, which offers free programs geared toward high-wage, trend-setting jobs that provide career planning and training to match students’ interests and abilities. Additional High School Open Houses will occur through February 2016.
“Detroit Public Schools offers an exciting array of High School offerings, including two single-gender academies, language immersion programs, construction trades programs, and much more,” said Steven Wasko, Executive Director of Enrollment. “We are excited to help 8th graders and their families explore the many options available in DPS and help prepare them for their future high school career.”
Other high school opportunities include:
- Benjamin Carson High School of Science and Medicine
- Medicine and Community Health Academy at Cody, which offer medical pathways;
- Detroit Collegiate Preparatory High School at Northwestern, which has comprehensive partnerships with Johns Hopkins and other institutions; and
- Detroit School of Arts, metro Detroit’s premier musical and performing arts High School.
The events are part of a series of Enrollment initiatives to both increase retention rates among DPS families and invite new families to see the school choices available in DPS.
Please see the High School Open House calendar below. To learn more, please visit detroitk12.org/enroll
Detroit Public Schools High School/CTC Open Houses for 8th grade families Fall/Winter 2015-16:
Tuesday, December 15, 3:30 to 5:30 p.m.
- School: Davis Aerospace and Golightly Career and Technical Center, 900 Dickerson Avenue, (313) 822-8820
Wednesday, January 6, 3:30 to 5:30 p.m.
- School: Frederick Douglass Academy for Young Men, 2001 W. Warren, (313) 596-3555
Thursday, January 7, 3:30 to 5:30 p.m.
- School: Western International High School, 1500 Scotten Street, (313) 849-4758
Wednesday, January 13, 3:30 to 5:30 p.m.
- School 1: Breithaupt Career and Technical Center, 9300 Hubbell Street, (313) 866-9550
- School 2: Detroit International Academy for Young Women, 9026 Woodward, (313) 873-3050
Tuesday, January 19, 3:30 to 5:30 p.m.
- School: Martin Luther King, Jr. Senior High School, 3200 E. Lafayette Street, (313) 494-7373
Saturday, January 23, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- School: Osborn High School Campus (Osborn College Preparatory Academy, Osborn Collegiate Academy of Mathematics, Science and Technology, Osborn Evergreen Academy of Design and Alternative Energy), 11600 E. 7 Mile Road, (313) 866-0343
Wednesday, January 27, 3:30 to 5:15 p.m.
- School 1: East English Village Preparatory Academy, 5020 Cadieux, (313) 922-5600
- School 2: Communication and Media Arts, 14771 Mansfield Street, (313) 866-9300
Wednesday, February 3, 3:30 to 5:30 p.m.
- School 1: Dr. Benjamin Carson High School of Science and Medicine, 571 Mack Avenue, (313) 494-1805
- School 2: Cody High School Campus (Academy of Public Leadership, Medicine and Community Health Academy, Detroit Institute of Technology College Prep) 18445 Cathedral Street, (313) 866-9200
Monday, February 8, 3:30 to 5:30 p.m.
- School: Academy of the Americas PreK-11, 2635 Howard, 313-335-1310
Grand Opening and Open House to be held at the new high school site.
Wednesday, February 10, 3:30 to 5:30 p.m.
- School 1: Detroit Collegiate Preparatory High School at Northwestern, 2200 W. Grand Blvd., (313) 899-7370
- School 2: A. Philip Randolph Technical High School, 17101 Hubbell Street, (313) 494-7100
- School 3: Detroit School of Arts, 123 Selden, (313) 494-6000