Detroit Public Schools, in collaboration with State Rep. Sherry Gay-Dagnogo (D-Detroit), hosted a Legislators’ Tour on Friday, Jan. 16. Co-hosts for the tour included: House Democratic Leader Tim Greimel (D-Auburn Hills), Rep. Brian Banks (D-Detroit), Sen. Bert Johnson (D-Detroit) and Sen. David Knezek (D-Dearborn Heights).
Titled “Revitalizing Their Dreams Education Unity Tour,” the event commemorated Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and aimed to foster bipartisan discussion around education policy as the bus made stops at multiple school buildings including:
- Adult Education Center-West Campus
- Foreign Language Immersion and Cultural Studies School (FLICS)
- Mark Twain School for Scholars
- Bennett Elementary School
- Davison Elementary-Middle School
- Charles Wright Academy of Arts and Science
- Communication & Media Arts High School
The legislators also gained knowledge regarding several district initiatives such as the Safe Routes to School program, K-8 Sports League, the Office of School Nutrition, the DPS Foundation for Early Learners and more.