Earhart Elementary-Middle School hosted “Trunk or Treat”, a fun and informative community initiative on Saturday, October 19. The event educated students and their families about safety initiatives including bicycle safety, early childhood interventions, neighborhood watch and “bully breed” dog information.
“Families got treats for their little ones, had fun in the inflatable bounce house and rocked to the sounds of a DJ,” Earhart Principal Gerlma Johnson said.
Community School Director Carol Weaver opened the doors to welcome over one thousand children and community members, highlighting the Earhart facility and their ability to make an event such as this one not only possible, but convenient for the community.
“The Earhart community has been very vocal in thanking us for making an event like this possible,” Johnson said.
A variety of community organizations were in attendance including:
- Congress of Communities
- DJ Tony Mendez
- El Nacimento Restaurant
- People’s Community Delray Neighborhood Council
- Southwest Detroit Improvement Association
- 4th Precinct Community Relations
- Detroit Bully Corps
- Amigas de los animales
- Wayne County Commissioner Ilona Varga
- Detroit Southwest Pride
- State Representative Rashida Tlaib
- Carmens Barber Shop
- Southwest Detroit Business Association
- Wayne County Sheriffs
- Detroit Hispanic Police Association
- Southwest Rides
- J&J Promotions
- Springdale Woodmere Block Club