Media Information Director
DPS Office of Athletics
Four teams will try to keep their unbeaten records intact, while six others will try to notch their first victories of the season Friday when Detroit Public School League football resumes with a seven-game slate.
Cass Tech, the back-to-back Division 1 defending state champions, visits Renaissance at 7 p.m. in the PSL “Game of the Week.” Coach Thomas Wilcher’s No. 1 state-ranked Technicians are 1-0 in the PSL West, 2-0 overall. Coach Tony Elliott’s Phoenix is 1-0 in the PSL West, 1-1 overall.
In other league games Friday, all 4 p.m. starts, unbeaten defending PSL champion King (1-0 PSL East, 2-0 overall) visits Osborn (1-0 East, 1-1); unbeaten Mumford (1-0 West, 2-0) hosts Cody (1-0 West, 1-1); East English Village (0-1 East, 0-2) plays Douglass (0-0 East, 0-1) at Northwestern High School; DCP Northwestern (0-1 West, 1-1) is at Ford (0-1 West, 0-2); Southeastern (0-1 East, 0-2) visits Pershing (0-1 East, 0-2); and Western (0-1 West, 1-1) is at Central (0-1 West, 0-2). Unbeaten Denby (1-0 East, 2-0) hosts Allen Park Cabrini in a 5 p.m. nonleague game.
Last week’s league openers were highlighted by King’s 6-0 double-overtime victory at East English Village. Other results: Mumford 42, Central 6; Cody 44, Ford 0; Renaissance 23, Western 0; Osborn 16, Pershing 6; Cass Tech 60, DCP-Northwestern 0; Denby 38, Southeastern 6.
Fans are advised that a revised DPS admissions policy has been implemented for PSL games, beginning Friday:
Detroit Public School League Revised Admissions Policy
1. Must be a student with picture ID/schedule from competing schools only to purchase ticket and enter event,
2. Only adults’ age 21 years over (with picture ID-born year 1992 from date of event or before) may purchase tickets and enter event,
3. Any person under 21 years of age, must be accompanied by parent/guardian/adult (age 21 over) and show picture ID to purchase ticket and enter event,
4. Any student/adult/person causing a disturbance at any athletic event will be subject to arrest, prosecution and a life-time ban from attending DPSL athletic events (ID’s & photos will be kept on file) and
5. EAA Schools are requested to enforce this revised admissions policy