Applications are open for a diverse set of schools, including those specializing in aviation, foreign language, medical pathways and more!
Detroit Public Schools kicked off its application period Friday, March 8 for 21 Application Schools so that families can apply for and secure spots in those schools for the 2013-14 school year.
The schools range from high-achieving elementary schools to specialty programs such as Davis Aerospace Technical High School, where students can learn to fly while taking a rigorous college preparatory curriculum; Dr. Benjamin Carson High School of Science and Medicine, which offers medical pathways; Detroit Collegiate Prep High School, which has robust partnerships with Johns Hopkins and other institutions; and Detroit School of Arts, the metro region’s premier performing arts and music high school.
The Application Schools enrollment period runs through Monday, March 18. Enrollment criteria and application packets are live on the district’s website. Applications are open to families of current DPS students, as well as those newly enrolling or attending school elsewhere.
An Open Enrollment Period for non-application schools will be held from April 10-30, with an All Schools Open House on Sat., April 27.
Further information is available at 313-240-4DPS or detroitk12.org/enroll
DPS Application Schools are as follows:
DPS Centrally Supported Schools (18)
1. Ann Arbor Trail Magnet Elementary-Middle School
2. Bates Academy
3. Burton International Academy
4. Chrysler Elementary School
5. Clippert Academy
6. Communication and Media Arts High School
7. Davis Aerospace Technical High School
8. Detroit International Academy for Young Women
9. East English Village Preparatory Academy
10. Edward “Duke” Ellington Elementary-Middle School
11. Foreign Language Immersion and Cultural Studies School (FLICS)
12. Frederick Douglass Academy for Young Men
13. Golightly Education Center
14. Ludington Magnet Middle School
15. Marcus Garvey Academy
16. Nichols Elementary-Middle School
17. Paul Robeson-Malcolm X Academy
18. Spain Elementary-Middle School
Detroit Rising College Preparatory Schools (3)
- Benjamin Carson High School of Science and Medicine
- Detroit Collegiate Preparatory High School
- Detroit School of Arts
Application Guidelines Parents Should Know:
- All application schools have their own application process. For example, schools may require applicants to participate in an interview, take a test or submit a portfolio of their work.
- Parents should research all schools of their interest and may apply to as many schools as they wish.
- The grade point average, disciplinary record, attendance record and the interests of the child will be assessed.
- Limited slots are available at each school.
- Each school maintains a “wait-list.”
- The application period will run through Monday, March 18, 2013. All applications must be submitted to the school of interest no later than 4:00 p.m. on March 18, 2013.
- Late applications will not be accepted.
- The decision of the school review committee is final.
- Acceptance notifications will be sent to parents no later than March 20-30, 2013.