More than 100 schools open for information, tours from 10 a.m. – 3 p.m.; Shuttle service will be provided; Every site will offer FREE healthy meals, receptions and giveaways; Select sites will offer immunizations, dental check-ups; Hard hat tours at sites of three NEW schools
On Saturday, March 31, all DPS schools operating in fall 2012, plus many DPS-authorized charters, will open their doors for an information day, opportunities to meet principals, staff and parent leaders, take tours, sample healthy nutrition offerings in the school cafeterias for free and more.
This unique All-Schools Open House will be held from 10:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. Each school will be open to allow parents to see schools firsthand and meet key leaders as part of the Open Enrollment Period, which extends through April 16.
Shuttle buses will be available for free from six hubs, and some sites will offer free dental checkups and immunizations. The five-hour time block as well as the shuttle bus service will allow families to visit several schools on one day.
Activities will include classroom visits, free meals, instructional technology and lab demonstrations, teacher presentations, student performances, and business/community partner information. Live radio broadcasts will be held at several schools. And three brand new schools to open in the fall will offer sneak peek hard hat tours. (See full itinerary.)
Individual schools that are open for enrollment include those neighborhood schools showcased by Excellent Schools Detroit as among the best in the City, as well as new schools and college preparatory programs with curriculum focusing on science, medicine and performing arts. DPS also offers multilingual education programs, Public School League scholar-athlete programs and Parent Resource Centers.
Itinerary for March 31 All-Schools Open House
Free shuttle buses will depart regularly each hour on the hour from:
- Osborn High School, 11600 E. 7 Mile Rd.
- Marcus Garvey Academy, 2301 Van Dyke
- Priest, 7840 Wagner
- Cody, 18445 Cathedral
- DSA West- Langston Hughes Campus, 19501 Berg
- Detroit International Academy, 9026 Woodward Avenue
Parents may await shuttles in the district’s Parent Resource Centers at the above schools, including the brand new Parent Resource Center at Detroit International Academy.
Immunizations will be held at:
- Marcus Garvey, 2301 Van Dyke
- Osborn High School, 11600 E. 7 Mile Rd.
Free dental check-ups will be offered by the Mobile Dentist at:
- 10 a.m.-12:30 p.m. — Marcus Garvey, 2301 Van Dyke
- 1:30 p.m.– 3:00 p.m. — Schulze, 10700 Santa Maria
There will be a special focus on the district’s healthy meals at every DPS school.
- 10 a.m. to noon — Reception in school entryways with fresh cookies and water (first come, first-served)
- Noon-2 p.m.—Free Healthy Meals reception in cafeterias at each school (first come, first-served). The menu offering is a turkey burger on whole wheat bun, romaine salad with tomatoes, fresh apple and beverage, including orange juice, milk or 8 oz water.
Take a tour of the Detroit Public School League championship buses and learn more about all the sports offerings in the PSL through displays and from PSL representatives.
- 10 a.m.-3 p.m. — Northwestern High School, 2200 W. Grand Blvd.
Hard Hat tours of THREE new schools opening this fall:
- 10 a.m.-3 p.m. — Visit the NEW Munger PK – 8 School, 5525 Martin Street, the NEW Mackenzie PK – 8 School, 9275 Wyoming Street, and the NEW East English Village Preparatory Academy, 17200 Southampton Street. Learn about the new schools and secure an application from East English Village Prep.
- SNEAK PEEK tours at 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. (Note: Active construction ongoing! Must wear closed toe shoes and long pants to enter the building. No sleeveless shirts or tank tops. Children under 18 must be accompanied by an adult.)
Live and promotional radio:
- 10 .m.-2p.m. — 92.3 WMXD will be at Detroit International Academy, 9026 Woodward, for a live broadcast with giveaways.
- 10 a.m.–noon — 107.5 WGPR will be at Cody High, 18445 Cathedral, for a call-in broadcast and giveaways.
- 10 a.m.– noon — 105.9 WDMK will be at Marcus Garvey Academy, 2301 Van Dyke, for a call-in broadcast and giveaways.
All sites will bring the radio station’s promotional vehicles and talent.
About the DPS Advantage for the Fall:
Detroit Public Schools is creating Centers of Excellence in every school in every neighborhood. The district’s primary mission is educating students to perform at high academic levels. DPS offers educational advantages to students, including expanded time for reading and mathematics under a common core curriculum, pre-algebra for 7th graders, 9 different languages and robust ESL programs, Advanced Placement courses at every high school, Fine Arts programs with instrumental music, vocal music and dance, 3 new state-of-the-art school buildings opening this fall, along with millions of dollars in ongoing school building improvements, extended day opportunities, business partners for every school to help raise student achievement and safety and security enhancements. District-wide, DPS will create an Individualized Learning Plan for each student and academic blueprints for every parent, and will provide Netbooks for home usage to all students in grades 8-12.
For enrollment information, call (313) 240-4377 or visit detroitk12.org/enroll
Schools that should be open and participating in the March 31 event
All DPS schools opening for fall 2012:
- Academy of the Americas
- Ann Arbor Trail
- Carstens at Remus Robinson
- Cass Tech
- Cody Critical Thinkers
- Cody Public Leadership
- Cody Medicine and Health
- Cody Inst of Technology
- Crockett CTC
- Detroit Collegiate Prep
- Detroit Lions
- East English Village Prep new building
- Fisher Lower
- Fisher Upper
- Golightly Ed Center
- Golightly CTC
- Greenfield Union
- Al Holmes
- Hutchinson @ Howe
- JR King
- Martin Luther King HS
- Ludington (at Hughes site)
- Mackenzie new building
- Mark Twain
- Thurgood Marshall
- Mason (at Farwell site)
- Moses Field
- Munger new building
- Osborn Mathematics
- Osborn College Prep
- Osborn Evergreen
- Palmer Park
- Randolph CTC
- Paul Robeson Malcolm X
- Turning Point
- West Side Academy
- Western International
- Coleman Young
DPS-authorized charters to be open:
- New Paradigm Loving
- New Paradigm Glazer
- EMAN Hamilton
- Covenant House East
- Covenant House Central
- Covenant House Southwest
- Aisha Shule
- Both new charters: Rutherford and MacDowell