Top 10 moments of 2011
1) First-ever Holiday Learning Fest kicks off in 18 schools, which remain open over the holiday break providing academic enrichment and support, free meals, health clinics.
2) For the first time ever, DPS provides FREE healthy breakfasts and hot and nutritional lunches to all students in grades K-12 in an effort to ensure all children receive nutritional meals, regardless of income. And they’re healthy! Options include whole wheat bread, Michigan-grown apples and turkey burgers.
3) Cass Tech beats No. 1-ranked team at Ford Field to make it the first-ever Detroit Public School League football team winning the state title in the largest-schools’ No. 1 division. Whoo hoo!
4) We are a parent engagement powerhouse! DPS announced it increased parent involvement by 37 percent over the previous year thanks to a performance-based contract with Detroit Parent Network.
5) Detroit was one of only six districts nationally to show increases in student scores among the urban districts participating on the rigorous National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP) in 2011.
6) 10 new state-of-the-art school buildings or major renovations open, along with millions of dollars in school building improvements districtwide and other new schools open to serve parents’ and students’ educational needs, like the new Dr. Benjamin Carson School for Science and Medicine and Detroit Collegiate Prep
7) New Volunteer Business Corps exceeds its goals, securing more than 200 business partners and community partners to help raise student achievement. We love our partners!
8) Six-week FREE Summer School Academy 2011 enrolled more than 38,000 students.
9) Overall districtwide enrollment exceeded budgeted projections by 389-plus students in the fall. DPS generated its first annual operating surplus since 2007 and reduced its negative fund balance by over $43 million (13 %) for the 2010-11 fiscal year. DPS accelerated the elimination of its $327 million legacy deficit, reduced total expenditures by over 8% and reduced debt service cost by almost $6 million.
10) Safety is key! An unprecedented multi-agency school safety partnership between the DPS Police Department, Detroit Police Department, Michigan State Police and citizen patrol groups is launched to keep students safer in and around schools!