Detroit Public Schools is partnering with the Detroit Children’s Museum to offer free admission to children on Friday, August 19 from noon to 4 p.m. at a DPS enrollment event that also includes parent workshops on how to make flashcards, free flashcard kits, free backpacks, while supplies last, and free immunizations.
Children must be accompanied by a paying adult. The offer for free children’s admission is valid Friday, August 19 only from noon to 4 p.m. This offer cannot be combined with other offers or discounts, and there is no cash value. Admission is $4 for parents.
When and where:
Detroit Children’s Museum, 6134 2nd Avenue
Friday, August 19
The event is from noon – 4 p.m. (The Museum is open on Friday from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.) Immunizations will be from noon to 3 p.m.
About the Detroit Public Schools Enrollment campaign:
The campaign focuses on the educational advantages available to students and parents/guardians, effective now, across DPS. Those include:
- $77.4 million in student grants and scholarships, up $20 million since 2009
- 10 new state-of-the-art school buildings or major renovations opening in September. DPS has built 40 new and remodeled schools since 2000.
- Netbooks for every student in grades 6-12 for the first time this fall
- Extended time in reading and math instruction for all elementary students
- Free Summer Academy for elementary and middle school students
- 5 new DPS-authorized charter schools led by educators with proven track records of raising achievement
- A Reading Corps tutor for all pre-K students needing one
- Business partners for every school to help raise student achievement
- Extended day at most schools
- Two new Online Parent Portals to keep parents connected to their children’s classwork and grades
- Parent Engagement initiatives, including workshops and eight neighborhood Parent Resource Centers
- Wide-ranging scholar-athlete programs through the Detroit Public School League
- Robust Fine Arts programs with instrumental music, vocal music and dance
- DPS-only college-readiness scholarship guarantees
- A portfolio of school options, including single-gender, arts and medical career paths and career technical education
For more information, go to http://detroitk12.org/resources/prospective_students/