Davis Aerospace held its first-ever Partnership Signing Day, an event designed to give recognition to 18 local business and community partners who have agreed to partner with the school. The event included an announcement by partners who have committed to a new Adopt-a-Room program to beautify sections of the school.
“In an ongoing effort to make a difference in the lives of young people, Davis Aerospace has established strategic win-win partnerships that are in alignment with our school’s vision and mission to promote aviation/aerospace, science, technology, engineering and math skills,” said Principal Nina Graves-Hicks. “Our Partners in Education Program is one way in which we have sought to actively and collaboratively involve business leaders in helping to shape and expand learning opportunities for young people.”
Davis Aerospace’s Partners in Education Program incorporates three key ingredients:
- School-to-life Partners provide internships, job shadowing, and volunteer experiences
- Academic and Personal Development Partners provide mentors, tutors and academic and technical education support
- School Beautification and Program Support Partners agree to Adopt-A-Room with the purpose of upgrading the facilities using energy-efficient materials and resources.
The Partners in Education Program benefits students by creating opportunities for companies to be instrumental in offering essential services to ensure students will be school-to-life ready, but also offers a variety of benefits for the partners, including:
- Creating a more qualified workforce;
- Increasing the alignment of college and career readiness for the future workforce;
- Reinforcing community and positive youth development; and
- Increasing the opportunity to provide community and corporate citizenship.
Examples of partner contributions include scholarships and internships from Detroit Chassis, LLC, Michael Guthrie; purchase of boys and girls basketball team uniforms by Horatio Williams Foundation; contribution of aviation fuel credits by Barnstormers Flight Support, Detroit City Airport and coordinating of the Davis’ Brotherhood Male Mentoring Program by Reverend David Bullock.
The Davis Partnerships in Education partners include:
- Detroit Chassis, LLC, Michael Guthrie, Scholarship, Mentoring, Internships- 7 year partnership
- Tooles Contracting Group-Damon Tooles, Adopt-A-Room, Cafeteria
- Wayne County Airport Authority, Genelle Allen, CEO, Adopt-A-Room, Flight Training, /Mentoring, Job Shadowing, Field Trips
- The Grand Finale Dessert Boutique, Bianca Graves, Adopt-A-Room, Placement Suite
- Portfolio Property Management –Art Kress, Director of Marketing, Adopt-A-Room, Staff Lounge
- Pinnacle Contracting-Sam Knolton, Jr., Adopt-A-Room, Cafeteria
- Coast Guard, Adopt-A-Room, Academic Intervention Center, Commanding Officer Michael Plat, Commander Mst. Chief, Jeff Starr
- Federal Aviation Administration-Ramone Crowe, Mentoring/Internships
- Barnstormers Flight Support, Detroit City Airport- Nancy Croft-Stahl, Aviation fuel support, fundraising efforts
- Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History, Culture and Fine Art
- Horatio Williams Foundation – Adopted Athletics Program (Boys and Girls Basketball)
- Derrick Coleman, Mentoring, Job Shadowing
- Reverend David Bullock, The Brotherhood Male Mentoring Program
- Wayne County Sheriff, Ursula Henry and James Spivey, representing Benny Napoleon
- Mack Hendricks, Flyball IT Corporation, Technology donation
- Taneisha Turner, WINK Wellness Services, Female mentoring
- Brooke Franklin, Detroit Regional Chamber of Commerce, DPS B.O.L.D. Program
- Charles Motley, Integrated Supply Chain Solutions (ISC), Mentor and Paid summer internships