Contact: Steven Wasko at 313-873-4542; Cell: 313-212-5636; email@example.com
or Jennifer Mrozowski at 313-873-8401; Cell: 313-401-9018; firstname.lastname@example.org
University of Detroit-Mercy’s McAuley Health Center will open a nurse-managed health clinic at Detroit Public Schools’ Schulze Academy for Technology and the Arts, 10700 Santa Maria. The center will be the first DPS school-based clinic to serve adult community residents in addition to students from DPS schools.
An Open House will be held 3-6 p.m. Wednesday October 6, including giveaways, facility tours and health screenings. Patients will not be seen this day but appointments can be scheduled by calling 313-579-1182.
The center, which has a separate entrance from the school, will provide services to children, adolescents and adults with appropriate insurance.
With the addition of the new Schulze clinic, DPS has 17 school-based or school-affiliated clinics that serve DPS students. Another is slated to open next month at Central High School. The clinics provide health and mental health services, including physicals, immunizations, chronic disease management and more.
“School-based health centers are critical to academic achievement because if students aren’t healthy, they are less likely to be ready to learn,” said Anntinette Mccain, Program Supervisor for Detroit Public Schools Office of Health, Physical Education & Safety’s Coordinated School Health Programs.
DPS school-based clinics
- Marcus Garvey School, 2301 Van Dyke, 48214, 313 866-9973, Sponsor: St. John Health System
- Central Collegiate Academy, 2425 Tuxedo Street, Sponsor: St John Health System, Opening: November 2010
- Rutherford, 16411 Curtis, 48235, 313 838-6822, Sponsor: Beaumont Hospital
- Hutchins @ McMichael Middle School, 6050 Linwood, 48206, 313 896-0268, Sponsor: Henry Ford Health System
- Nolan Middle School, 1150 Lantz, 48203, 313 368-4267, Sponsor: St. John Health System
- Northwestern High School, 2200 W. Grand Blvd., 48208, 313 596-0700 ext. 388, Sponsor: Detroit Health Department
- Henry Ford High, 20000 Evergreen 48219, 313 494-7560, Sponsor: Henry Ford Health Systems
- Osborn High School, 11600 E. 7 Mile Rd. 48205, 313 372-5974, Sponsor; St. John Health System
- Southwestern High School 6921 W. Fort 48209, 313 843-1398, Sponsor: Henry Ford Health System
- Mumford High School 17525 Wyoming 48221, 313 651-0841, Sponsor: Henry Ford Health System
- Schulze Elementary School, 10700 Santa Maria St., 313 340-4400 / 313 579-1182, Sponsor: U of D/McAuley Health Center
Healthy Teens Community Care Center, Inc. (School Linked), 611 Martin L. King Blvd, 48201, 313 832-6300 Ext. 2128, Sponsor: Det. Com. Health Con.
- Stewart School, 13120 Wildermere 48238, 313 883-0246 Sponsor: Henry Ford Health System
- Thirkell Elementary School, 7724 14th Street, 48206, 313 894-0226, Sponsor: Henry Ford Health Systems
- Sampson Middle School, 4700 Tireman, 48204, 313 898-6739, Sponsor: Henry Ford Health System
- White Elementary School, 5161 Charles, 48212, 313 893-2247, Sponsor: Henry Ford Health System
- Howe Elementary, 2600 Garland, 48214, 313 642-4801, Sponsor: St. John Health System
- Youthville (School Linked), 7375 Woodward 48202, 313 309-1475, Sponsor: Henry Ford Health System