Steven Wasko at 313-873-4542 Kisha Verdusco at 313-873-4546
Detroit businessman Abner McWhorter III is offering scholarships for the third consecutive year to Detroit Public Schools seniors who have achieved perfect attendance throughout high school.
Established in 2008, the “Show Up to Blow Up” scholarship program awards students $1,000 per year for four years of college or trade school. Nine students have won the scholarship over the last two years.
The scholarship gives students additional incentive to achieve academic and personal excellence, said Troy Stewart, a Renaissance High School graduate who was one of the eight 2009 scholarship recipients.
“More often than not, showing up even when you may not feel like it is more responsible and mature than exercising your ability to skip and take the easy way out,” said Stewart, who attends Michigan State University.
McWhorter, President of Paramount Land Holdings, LLC, a real estate development and management company, has expanded the program this year to the District of Columbia and the City of Oakland Unified school districts. He wants to support efforts to lower truancy rates in these communities, which have similar demographic, social and economic characteristics to Detroit.
“Absenteeism undermines student achievement, promotion, graduation, self-esteem and employment potential,” McWhorter said. “Truancy has shown to have far-reaching and detrimental effects on students and presents a challenge to schools throughout the nation.”
Scholarship Terms and Conditions for Eligibility:
– Perfect attendance (no full-day absences) during grades 9, 10, 11, and 12 up to the day of submission of the application.
– Students were enrolled from the beginning to the end of the academic school year.
– A minimum grade point average is not required.
– The recipients must use the award to pay tuition and other educational expenses at a college or trade school.
– Award is up to $4,000 for post-secondary education (up to $1,000 per year for four years)
For information contact:
Paramount Land Holdings, LLC
Attention: Linda Jones, Public Affairs
453 Martin Luther King Boulevard, Detroit, MI 48201
Call (313) 831-1870 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org