DPS has selected a program manager to oversee its $500.5 million facilities program

Contact: Steven Wasko at 313-873-4542; Cell: 313-212-5636; steven.wasko@detroitk12.org
Or Jennifer Mrozowski at 313-873-8401; Cell: 313-401-9018; jennifer.mrozowski@detroitk12.org

Pending final negotiations, Detroit Public Schools has selected a Bond Program Manager joint venture team to oversee the district’s $500.5 million School Construction and Modernization Program to build eight and renovate 10 schools over the next three years.

The selection follows the submission of qualifications by 22 local and national teams, and a subsequent interview process, led by Emergency Financial Manager Robert Bobb. Bobb and a committee of seven interviewed four finalists.

As a result of those interviews, Bobb selected a joint venture team consisting of three companies from the design and construction industries.

“The strength of this team is that it is Detroit-based with deep roots in the city and the state of Michigan,” Bobb said. “We look forward to working with the team on projects that will be on time and on budget for all 18 schools, with several of those sites fully completed for the opening day of school this September.”

The three partners, who have an equal share in the joint venture, are:

* Walbridge — A 93-year-old Detroit-headquartered construction firm that employs over 300 people. Walbridge has partnered with E. L. Bailey & Company, a minority-owned school construction and construction management company with offices in Detroit and Southfield.

* Brailsford and Dunlavey – one of the one nation’s largest minority-owned educational program management and construction management firms. The Washington D.C.-based company has delivered, and been involved in, large urban school construction programs that total more than $2.5 billion.

* Fanning/Howey Associates, Inc. – the third largest educational planning and architectural firm in the country, which has been serving Detroit for more than 20 years from their regional office in Novi. They have partnered with Mark English Design LLC, a minority-owned architectural design firm headquartered and based in Detroit.

The chief executive officers of Walbridge and Brailsford and Dunlavey will report directly to Bobb on the progress of the work.

The selection was based on the qualifications of the firms within the joint venture, their understanding of and approach to the program and the firms’ track record of success and ability to accomplish the goals of the program, including the positive impact on Detroit’s economy and employment of Detroiters.

The Joint Venture has engaged New Detroit, Inc., to support its efforts to ensure local inclusion and community input. New Detroit is focused on civil rights, education, local capacity, buildings and employment.

The District and the Joint Venture are committed to the following initiatives:

1. Forging a strong relationship with local trade unions to ensure that Detroit workers will have a first opportunity for all jobs.

2. Expanding employment, training and accelerated apprenticeships for Detroit students and graduates in the construction trades and design professions, with an emphasis on long-term employment and career development.

3. Ensuring that contracting opportunities are maximized for Detroit-based firms and suppliers.

4. Designing schools that are driven by the District’s academic vision, but with extensive community input.

Bobb and the team of interviewers made the selection of this joint venture team because of the following:

1. Each partner demonstrated resources that assured a high probability that all of the projects will be completed on time and on budget.

2. Each partner demonstrated a deep familiarity with all of the school sites selected for new construction and renovation.

3. Each partner demonstrated a verifiable commitment to embracing the diversity of the City of Detroit.

4. The group had a collective expertise and knowledge of construction disciplines.

The program manager selection committee included:

Robert Bobb, Emergency Financial Manager
Leon Glaster, Deputy Chief of Staff for Finance
Ricardo Kisner, Chief Financial Officer
Terry Burgess, Interim Chief Operating Officer
Mark Schrupp, Executive Director of Facilities
Kevin White, Director of Procurement for Capital Improvements
Mumtaz Usmen, member of the bond oversight committee, and Interim Dean, College of Engineering, Wayne State University
Mark Jones, Director of Targeted Business Development, City of Detroit

This entry was posted in News and Press Releases.