Detroit Public Schools is hosting its 1st Annual HIV/AIDS Awareness Roundball Tournament, Saturday, Dec. 5, 2009 and Saturday, Dec. 12, 2009 at Renaissance High School, 6565 West Outer Drive.
Admission is $10.00 (times and schedule below).
December is HIV/AIDS Awareness Month. The focus of the DPS event is to bring about awareness, while showcasing the talents of student athletes throughout the state of Michigan. Not only will the tournament showcase Michigan’s finest, including some of the top-ranked basketball players around the state, but it will feature top-ranked athletes from Illinois traveling to participate in this event.
The Michigan Department of Health and Wellness will be on site, providing information about the cause.
An extension of the HIV/AIDS Awareness Roundball Tournament includes educational awareness beyond high school. Several colleges and universities, along with branches of armed service recruiters, will also share in the hallway carnival display.
Information booths will be displayed in the corridor throughout the duration of the tournament.
This two-day event is designed to create an environment where youth, adults, families and community can witness athletic competitions that showcase talent and the spirit of unity in sportsmanship. While athletics provides an educational opportunity for students outside of the classroom, this event provides the structure for another learning experience while attending an athletic competition. Everyone attending these games has the opportunity to receive vital information about HIV/AIDS and prevention, college/university admissions/scholarship information, armed service recruitment/scholarship information and more.
1) Challenging all participants/spectators to make certain after attending the event they are more informed than before they arrived about HIV/AIDS prevention.
2) Challenging all participants/spectators to make certain they have visited with at least three or more college admissions officers and/or armed service recruiters.
3) Challenging all DPS Alumni to support the event (expecting DPS Alumni attendance to be higher for participating schools, but encourage all alumni to attend, sign-in, and get involved with their respective alumni associations.)
4) Challenging the community to support the event by attending the two-day event, while recognizing December as HIV/AIDs Awareness month.
Highlights of the Two-Day Event include:
– The Michigan Department of Health and Wellness Mobile Clinic
– Unity Sportsmanship Meal after each competition (Teams Only)
– Recruiters from Colleges and Universities
– Recruiters from Branches of the Armed Services
– Scholarship Information
– Community Agencies/Organizations
– Radio Personalities Announcing Starting Line-Ups and Highlights of the Basketball Games
Saturday, December 5, 2009 (Girls)
9:00am Detroit Community vs. Crockett
10:30am Ypsilanti vs. Northwestern
12:00pm Detroit Country Day vs. Pershing
2:00pm John Marshall vs. Renaissance
4:00pm Bogan College Prep vs. M. L. King, Jr.
6:00pm Grosse Pointe South vs. Cody
8:00pm Southfield Lathrup vs. Southeastern
Saturday, December 12, 2009 (Boys)
9:00am Academy of Oak Park vs. Cody
11:00am Oak Park vs. Cass
1:00pm John Glenn vs. Renaissance
3:00pm Southfield Lathrup vs. M. L King, Jr.
5:00 pm Pontiac vs. Southeastern
7:00 pm Clarkston vs. Henry Ford
8:30 pm Romulus vs. Pershing
For more information call (313) 873-7990