For Immediate Release
July 23, 2009
Contact: Steve Wasko at 313-873-4542; cell 313-212-5636; email@example.com
Jennifer Mrozowski at 313-873-8401; cell: 313-401-9018; firstname.lastname@example.org
The Detroit Public Schools has launched a 2009 Summer Rush Program, a construction project that is an integral part of the District’s Facility Consolidation and Reinvestment Plan. Improvements are being implemented at 33 schools to improve the learning environment, ensure that mechanical systems work properly and make sure the building is free of leaks. The major emphasis is on schools that are receiving students. The improvements include:
– General enhancements, such as lighting upgrades and wall upgrades
– Bathroom and drinking fountain replacements and repairs
– Fixtures (such as mobile science room demonstration tables and pre-K cubbies)
– Safety upgrades with security and signage
– Heating and cooling repairs and replacements
– Painting of schools
The District is investing $18.7 million from the remaining funds in the 1994 bond program as well as $3.5 million in general funds. All work is on schedule and all projects necessary for the opening of school will be completed by the end of August. A few projects will be completed in the fall.
The media can contact the Office of Communications to set up photo and media opportunities for work at Cody (18445 Cathedral) or Cerveny (15850 Strathmoor) between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. on Monday and Tuesday.
The total investment cost for Cerveny is $1,363,592.
The total investment cost for Cody is $1,882,659.
Tentative completion dates follow:
– General Enhancements: August 14, 2009 substantial completion
– Playscapes: September 4, 2009
– Signage: September 11, 2009
– Security: September 18, 2009
– Roofing: September 18, 2009
– Mechanical: November 27, 2009
In addition to work at those schools, additional 2009 summer construction is ongoing at other schools for a total investment of more than $4 million, including restroom upgrades, playscapes, demolition, security enhancements and more.