Letter from the Superintendent
Detroit Public Schools Community District Families,
It is with great excitement, pride and humility that I begin our work to serve children and communities as your superintendent for the new Detroit Public Schools Community District.
I arrive at this opportunity with more than 15 years of experience as a teacher, principal, state and district administrator and superintendent. All of that work has been done in traditional, urban public schools and districts. I have had the privilege of serving communities that present the same challenges and opportunities as Detroit, including the Bronx, Miami, Jacksonville, and each of the large, urban communities within Florida.
There is no better time than now and no better place than here to demonstrate to the nation what we are capable of and why public education still matters.
Dr. Nikolai Vitti confirmed as new DPSCD superintendent
The Financial Review Commission approved a five-year contract with Dr. Nikolai Vitti as Detroit Public Schools Community District’s new superintendent. Dr. Vitti will take the helm of Michigan’s largest school district on Tuesday, May 23, assuming responsibility for more than 6,000 employees, 48,000 students and an annual fiscal budget of $660 million.
District News & Press Releases
- Reminder of Special Board Meeting
- DPSCD to host transition enrollment fair for charter school family and staff
- Cass Tech Principal nominated for national LifeChanger of the Year Award
- Camp Burt Shurly Open House
- Reminder School Board Meeting Monday, June 19
- “All A” students awarded with shopping spree valued at $12,000
- DPSCD continues to grow partnerships with Drew Transition Center’s Volunteer Day