Office of Real Estate
The Detroit Public Schools Real Estate Department handles the purchasing, leasing, and property management functions for properties both owned and rented by the district. The district has been leasing and selling property since 2005 and currently has over 100 properties on the market, listed below. Since March 2009, Detroit Public Schools has generated more than $12 Million from the sale of vacant school properties and annual lease revenue.
Detroit Public Schools Community District is committed to ensuring a high-quality school for every student—a school where all students meet or exceed grade-level expectations and graduate from high school prepared for college, career and life. We are accountable for using existing resources more effectively to support excellence in the classroom and progress toward academic goals.
As part of our program to effectively manage resources, we manage all of our closed buildings to minimize cost and maximize revenues.
A property list can be viewed below, picked up at the District’s Real Estate office located at 1601 Farnsworth, Building C, Detroit, MI 48211, or by emailing Tammy Deane, Acting Executive Director, Operations, Detroit Public Schools.
Please direct any questions and interest in available properties to Tammy Deane, Director of Real Estate, Detroit Public Schools Community District.
Best Practice Examples for Adaptive Re-uses of School Buildings
DPSCD Developers Conference Presentations
- Real Estate Conference Program Book, March 2014
- Betti Wiggins, Detroit Public Schools
- Rory Bolger, City of Detroit, City Planning Commission
- James Marusich, City of Detroit, Planning and Development | Herman Kiefer RFP
- Michael Poris, McIntosh Poris Associates, American Institute of Architects
- Kirby Burkholder, Executive Director, Eastern Region, IFF
- Tahirih Ziegler, Executive Director of Detroit Local Initiatives Support Corporation (LISC)
Email all requests to Tammy Deane. Please review the lists below, and attach all documents relevant to your request to the email.
- Offer Checklist
- Purchase Agreement
- Purchaser/Tenant Information form
- Conflict of Interest form
- Development Plan
- Disclosure form
- Proof of funds