The Detroit Public Schools Real Estate Department handles the purchasing, leasing, and property management functions for properties both owned and rented by the district. The district has been leasing and selling property since 2005 and currently has over 100 properties on the market, listed below. Since March 2009, Detroit Public Schools has generated more than $12 Million from the sale of vacant school properties and annual lease revenue.
Our mission: Detroit Public Schools is committed to ensuring a high-quality school for every student—a school where all students meet or exceed grade-level expectations and graduate from high school prepared for college, career and life. We are accountable for using existing resources more effectively to support excellence in the classroom and progress toward academic goals.
As part of our program to effectively manage resources, we manage all of our closed buildings to minimize cost and maximize revenues.
A property list can be viewed below, picked up at the District’s Real Estate office located at 1601 Farnsworth, Building C, Detroit, MI 48211, or by emailing Felicia Venable, Acting Executive Director, Operations, Detroit Public Schools. You may also call the Real Estate Department at (313) 873-6532.
Please direct any questions and interest in available properties to Felicia Venable, Acting Executive Director, Operations, Detroit Public Schools.
DPS Developers Conference Presentations
- Real Estate Conference Program Book, March 2014
- Betti Wiggins, Detroit Public Schools
- Rory Bolger, City of Detroit, City Planning Commission
- James Marusich, City of Detroit, Planning and Development | Herman Kiefer RFP
- Michael Poris, McIntosh Poris Associates, American Institute of Architects
- Kirby Burkholder, Executive Director, Eastern Region, IFF
- Tahirih Ziegler, Executive Director of Detroit Local Initiatives Support Corporation (LISC)
Email all requests to Felicia Venable. Please review the lists below, and attach all documents relevant to your request to the email.
- Offer Checklist
- Purchase Agreement
- DPS Purchaser/Tenant Information form
- DPS Conflict of Interest form
- DPS Development Plan
- DPS Disclosure form
- Proof of funds
New developers: Learn more!
Interested in a land contract? Learn more!
Need to know how to acquire a DPS property? Learn more!