Department of Site Management
George A. Vary
Detroit, Michigan 48211
(313) 578-7225 Office
The Department of Site Management creates a safe and attractive learning environment and work place for students, staff, and community members by providing high quality grounds-keeping and snow removal services and site development services. The Department performs and manages essential grounds maintenance services and construction improvements for educational and administrative campuses owned by Detroit Public Schools. Services provided by the site management department include, but are not limited to, turf restoration and management, pruning of mature trees and shrubbery, spring and fall clean ups, snow removal, application of ice melt products, preparation of specifications for all outsourced services and construction improvements, construction management and oversight of athletic field and landscape renovations, parking lot and sidewalk replacements, maintenance of drainage structures and storm sewers, repair and replacement of fencing, maintenance of District owned lawn mowers and snow blowers, repair and maintenance of exterior bleachers, servicing of turf irrigation systems, mitigation of illegal dumping, flag pole repairs, and athletic field marking for all football, track, baseball, softball, and soccer field competitive games.
Creating a Clean and Safe School Environment
- Increased the frequency of contracted grounds maintenance services during the 2006 season by sixty-four percent over the previous year.
- Worked in collaboration with Neighborhood Centers, Inc To develop a playground at Phoenix Academy.
- Provided major fencing replacements at Bagley, Barton, Bethune, Brady, Clinton, Columbus, Coolidge, H. Ford, Marcus Garvey, Finney, H. Ford, Jamison, JR King, McColl, Phoenix, Thirkell, Trombly, and Young.
- Completed campus wide cyclical tree pruning at 16 High Schools.
- Took aggressive steps to remediate turf damage at nine High School football fields.
- Resurfaced aggregate running tracks at Cooley, Finney, Ford, and Pershing
- Constructed a softball field at Henry Ford
- Reinstalled a monument dedicated to Dr. Martin Luther King by the 1968 graduating class of Spain Middle School that had been displaced by a 2002 construction project.
Becoming an Effective and Efficient Organization
- Decreased the time required to complete emergency work orders from 80% to 90% within five days.
- Provided contract administration, quality control inspection, and service verification for over 4000 contracted snow removal and turf maintenance services.
- Completed 4,020 of the 4,197 work orders submitted to the department during 2005-2006.
- Filled out management staff and implemented new training in technology and management.
- Continuing to replace and upgrade fencing to enhance the security of DPS facilities
- Continuing to upgrade Athletic Fields and Playgrounds as funding allows
- Completion of hard surface survey and corrective action
- Participation in continuing security initiatives
- Implementation of certified playground inspection team.
- The Department of Site Management performs repairs and restoration work in a variety of areas including, asphalt parking lots, athletic fields, flag poles, concrete, fencing, hand rails, irrigation, playgrounds, snow equipment, storm sewer improvements, drainage structures, earthwork, grading, landscaping, etc.