Students with special needs enrolling in Detroit Public Schools require an Individual Educational Program (IEP) in order to be placed in an appropriate educational setting.
DPS offers a Service Center with placement specialists to assist parents and guardians in enrolling their student(s) in appropriate classrooms in the neighborhood school when possible. The Placement Center also provides special education enrollments (SEE) for students returning or coming to DPS from other school districts.
Transportation services are provided for students according to the recommendations on their Individualized Education Program.
Direct requests concerning transportation eligibility should come to the Placement Center:
South Wing/Room #168
2001 West Warren
Detroit, MI 48208
Inside the Frederick Douglass College Preparatory Academy for Young Men
Hours of operation:
8:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
Phone: (313) 748-6499
Fax: (313) 748-6498
The placement /compliance center:
- Assists with placement of students based on their individualized education program.
- Assists with changing addresses and placements when students move.
- Monitors class sizes to ensure maintenance of compliance.
- Assists with assigning students to the appropriate teacher based on student program
- Investigates compliance complaints and resolves them
- Provides professional development to staff on the changes in the IEP process
Items Needed for a Placement Specialist Visit
If requested to visit with a placement specialist, you will need to bring the following information:
To change an address you need:
- Photo ID
- Proof of Address – you must have one of the following:
- Driver's license with address
- State ID with address
- Utility bill with your name and address
- Lease or deed
- A letter from the person you are living with nd their photo ID and proof of Address
If you are not the parent you need one of the following:
- Foster papers
- Guardianship papers
- Adoption papers
- A letter from the parent giving you permission to make changes for their child and a copy of the parent's ID with current address
Changes in placements that are dropped off will usually be ready for placement/pick-up 24-48 hours later depending on the number of parents that come in for service.
Some simple changes can be completed at a local school by fax. This only applies to former DPS students with a current IEP.